Monday, January 1, 2018
Dear Neah-Kah-Nie School District Staff, Students, Parents, and Community:
The Neah-Kah-Nie School District will join the other 196 school districts throughout Oregon to celebrate January as, School Board Recognition Month.
Our seven school board members spend countless hours of unpaid time working to provide the best possible education for our students. Board members attend monthly board meetings, participate in occasional trainings, and constantly communicate with parents, students, school staff, and the school superintendent.
Board members also serve as the corporate board of directors for one of Tillamook County’s largest employers. Celebrating School Board Recognition Month is one way to say thank you for all they do.
School board members represent their fellow citizens’ views and priorities in the complex enterprise of maintaining and running the Neah-Kah-Nie School District. Each board member is elected to a four-year term by registered voters. They also reinforce the principle of local control over public education, which is an important, highly valued aspect of education in Oregon.
The school board’s main goal, is to support student achievement. To achieve that goal, the board focuses on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to make student achievement the top priority
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do
- Assessing whether schools achieve their goals, and whether students are learning
- Accounting for the outcomes of decisions and by tracking progress and reporting results
- Aligning the use of the district’s human and financial resources
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support common successes
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
Neah-Kah-Nie School District has an active, well trained, and highly effective board who give of their time for the betterment of our students and staff. Recently, school board members attended a variety of sessions at the three day Oregon School Boards Association (OSBA) annual conference in Portland.
Neah-Kah-Nie’s proud School Board members are Terry Kelly, Chairman, eleven years of service; Pat Ryan, Vice Chairman, nineteen years; JoDee Ridderbusch, three years; Carol Mahoney, three years, Michele Aeder, two years; and Landon Myers, one year of service.
Board of Education meetings are at 6:30 p.m., on the second Monday of the month, at the school district’s main office in Rockaway Beach. Contact information for the Board of Education is at http://nknsd.org/community/members/.
We honor our board members during January to show appreciation; however, we recognize their contributions reflect a year-round effort. The next time you see a Neah-Kah-Nie School Board member, express your gratitude by saying, THANK YOU!
Paul Erlebach, Superintendent
Neah-Kah-Nie School District