Students, Parents, and Staff,
The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) released school performance data detailing achievement rates and academic growth in math and English language arts (ELA) on the newly implemented Smarter Balanced Assessment in grades 3-8 and grade 11. The Smarter Balanced Assessments are significantly more rigorous than the previous OAKS State Assessment. It was projected that nearly two-thirds of Oregon students would not meet the proficiency standards. Students at grades 5, 8, and 11 will continue to take the OAKS science assessment. Neah-Kah-Nie Schools demonstrated high achievement, outperforming the state in ELA and math at many grade levels; however, there were grades and subgroups that did not outperform the state.
Neah-Kah-Nie students outperformed the state at the following grade levels:
3rd grade English language arts (reading and writing)
3rd grade math
5th grade ELA
5th grade math
6th-8th grade ELA and math
11th grade ELA
School performance highlights include:
- 3rd graders at Nehalem outperformed the state by 22% points in both ELA and math!
- 5th grade Garibaldi OAKS science scores outperformed the state by 12% points.
- 7th graders outperformed the state in ELA by 17% and math by 24% points.
- 8th graders surpassed the state in ELA by 16% points and math by 18% points.
- 11th grade ELA exceeded the state by 75 points.
- Overall, the district outperformed the state in ELA, math, and science
We are proud of the achievement our students have demonstrated and are grateful for staff who have the necessary skills to make a positive impact. We celebrate the positive results; however, there are always areas of improvement and we are committed to the continued growth of the students we serve. Areas of concern will be addressed by School Improvement Plans written by school Site Councils and the District Improvement Plan.
State and individual report cards will be mailed to parents at a later date.
Have a great school year!
Paul Erlebach, Superintendent