January is School Board Recognition Month
The Neah-Kah-Nie School District will join the other 196 school districts throughout Oregon to celebrate January as, “School Board Recognition Month.”
Our seven school board members spend countless hours of unpaid time working to provide the best possible education for our students. Board members attend monthly board meetings, participate in occasional trainings, and constantly communicate with parents, students, school staff and the school superintendent. As a testament of our board member’s dedication, all board members recently attended the Oregon School Boards Association (OSBA) Fall Conference. Also, a majority of board members participated in a two day OSBA leadership training. Board members also serve as the corporate board of directors for one of our community’s largest employers. Celebrating School Board Recognition Month is one way to say thank you for all they do.
School board members represent their fellow citizens’ views and priorities in the complex enterprise of maintaining and running the Neah-Kah-Nie School District. They also reinforce the principle of local control over public education, which is an important, highly valued aspect of education in Oregon.
Frequently, the efforts of school board members go unrecognized. Let’s recognize our board members and express our appreciation for their work.
The school board’s main goal, is to support student achievement. To achieve that goal, the board focuses on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to make student achievement the top priority
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do
- Assessing whether schools achieve their goals, and whether students are learning
- Accounting for the outcomes of decisions and by tracking progress and reporting results
- Aligning the use of the district’s human and financial resources
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support common successes
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
Neah-Kah-Nie School District staff and students honor our outstanding board members in a variety of ways: Board members are “adopted” by designated schools and receive a poster thanking them for their service. Board members also receive a certificate of appreciation, a small gift, and a cake will be presented to board members at the January board meeting.
Neah-Kah-Nie School District has an active, well trained, and effective board who give of their time for the betterment of our students and staff.
Neah-Kah-Nie’s proud School Board members are Terry Kelly, Chairman 9 years of service; Pat Ryan, Vice Chairman 17 years; Lisa Hooley, 13 years; Eugene Tish, 2 years; JoDee Ridderbusch, 1 year; Trisha Hixon, 1 year, and Carol Mahoney, 1 year.
We honor our board members during January to show appreciation; however, we recognize their contributions reflect a year-round effort. Board members are dedicated individuals who are committed to improving student achievement and implementing board policies. The next time you see a Neah-Kah-Nie School Board member, express your gratitude by saying, THANK YOU!
Paul Erlebach, Superintendent
Neah-Kah-Nie School District