Monday, August 13, 2018
To Neah-Kah-Nie SAFE Committee,
The Neah-Kah-Nie School District Board of Directors supports the goal of Neah-Kah-Nie Safe to increase awareness of the dangers of drinking, drugging, and driving and to reduce the number of youth involved in alcohol and other drug-related highway accidents. Since there have been many questions, from community members and parents, as to the relationship between Neah-Kah-Nie School District and Neah-Kah-Nie Safe, it is necessary for the Board to clarify the following:
- Neah-Kah-Nie School District is not involved in fund raising, advertising, approval of volunteers, transportation, or supervision of Neah-Kah-Nie Safe graduation participants.
- Neah-Kah-Nie School District is not liable for any Neah-Kah-Nie Safe
- Neah-Kah-Nie Safe organizers are not permitted to use Neah-Kah-Nie High School letterhead or logo.
- Neah-Kah-Nie Safe organization must be a current non-profit entity registered with the Oregon Secretary of State’s Corporation Division.
- The address for Neah-Kah-Nie Safe cannot be Neah-Kah-Nie High School’s address.
The Neah-Kah-Nie School District Board of Directors encourages the following:
- Neah-Kah-Nie Safe continues to provide a safe alternative to party hopping by offering an all-night event where recent graduates celebrate in a safe environment.
- Neah-Kah-Nie Safe is a community-wide planning process that strives to create a caring, supportive environment and more open communication between youths and adults.
- Equitable access for all Neah-Kah-Nie High School graduates to participate in the Neah-Kah-Nie Safe graduation event.
- No student should be excluded from participating in the Neah-Kah-Nie Safe graduation event due to his/her level of economic contribution to the event.
- Fundraising for Neah-Kah-Nie Safe should be for a one night experience at a local or regional venue. It is a detriment to other Neah-Kah-Nie clubs, organizations, and community partners when Neah-Kah-Nie Safe fundraises thousands of dollars for a two day event, for a select number of actual graduates.
- Behavior expectations for Neah-Kah-Nie Safe organizers should model the same behavior expectations schools have for students: Be safe, Be responsible, and Be respectful.
Thank you for providing a safe high school graduation activity for all Neah-Kah-Nie High School graduates.
Neah-Kah-Nie School District Board of Directors