Welcome! I am honored to serve as the Literacy Coach for the elementary schools in the Neah-Kah-Nie school district. I come to the Neah-Kah-Nie SD from McMinnville, OR, with eight years of teaching experience; ranging from 1st grade to 4th grade. My knowledge of different grade levels aids in my ability to understand and help provide for students and teachers throughout their literacy journey.
My role as the literacy coach is to support student achievement by working with all elementary staff in assessing students to determine need, evaluating and understanding curriculum to help support students’ needs, and providing professional development in all areas of literacy that helps both teachers and students grow. We definitely have a “team” mindset in the Neah-Kah-Nie school district, and it is with all of our heads and hearts working towards common goals that we are able to provide the highest quality instruction in the area of literacy.
Literacy components in our district include:
- Implementation of ORTIi – A systematic response to intervention that allows us to provide added support and instruction to, at minimum, the lowest 20% of struggling readers.
- The 2015 K-5 curriculum adoption of Benchmark Literacy – A Comprehensive literacy program that enables students to access complex text.
- DIBELS – A 3-times-a-year quick screening assessment that monitors the development of pre-reading and early reading skills in students.
- Fountas and Pinnell Reading Assessment – A diagnostic that allows teachers to determine individual reading levels to provided precise reading instruction.
- Dedication to the incorporation of technology into the literacy framework.